Trump ends fight to include citizenship question on census ,
President Trump officially dropped his controversial bid to add a citizenship question to the 2020 Census on Thursday.
Instead, he announced at a Rose Garden ceremony that he was issuing an executive order that instructs federal agencies to report data to the Commerce Department in order to better tabulate the number of U.S. citizens.
Trump told his invited guests, many of whom attended a forum on social media immediately beforehand.
It is essential that we have a clear breakdown of the number of citizens and noncitizens that make up the U.S. population — imperative. Knowing this information is vital to formulating sound public policy, whether the issue is health care, education, civil rights or immigration.”
Trump said, the information would “ultimately allow us to have an even more complete count of citizens than through asking the single question alone.”
Critics of the citizenship question believe that its inclusion could drastically reduce response rates in immigrant communities that could, in turn, result in fewer government services in minority communities and a higher representation of Republicans in Congress.
In his remarks Thursday, Trump ignored those concerns.“The Department of Commerce sensibly decided to include a citizenship question in the 2020 census as has been done many, this effort was delayed by meritless litigation,” he added, accusing “far-left Democrats” of “concealing the number of illegal aliens in our midst.”
Barr, who earlier this week said there was still a pathway to adding the citizenship question to the census, conceded that “any new decision would be subject to immediate challenge” and jeopardize the ability to carry out the census in a timely matter.